What does the tyre fitter do when fitting a tyre?
Fitting a new tyre onto a wheel rim involves a specific procedure that requires appropriate fitting equipment. The tyre fitter will make sure that the following key requirements are met by:
- Checking that tyres meet legal standards, for instance with regard to the tyre structure or different levels of wear of tyres on the same axle.
- Following your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for tyre structure, size, speed rating, load index and pressure.
- Checking the internal and external appearance of the tyre to detect any anomalies before fitting.
- Following the correct fitting procedure: remove the old tyre, balance to prevent vibration and premature wear of the new tyre, suspension and steering, inflate to the recommended pressure, change the valve to conserve air tightness, check the fitting and rotation direction.
- Taking into account the tyre’s features (e.g. short sidewalls, run-flat tyres, etc).